Serves 6 [This allows for one whole egg per person]
Preparation time 20 minutes plus allow time to hard boil the eggs.
These may be made some hours in advance and refrigerated until needed, however some spices, e.g paprika, may leak colour into the egg whites which doesn’t look very nice. If you think this may happen, refrigerate the egg whites and the egg whites separately and fill the egg whites with the yolk mixture just before serving.
- 6 hard boiled eggs [Click here to see how to prepare the perfect hard boiled egg]
- ¼ cup sauce: See the Sauce section. The mustard vinaigrette is recommended but any other sauce of your choice from this section will do. [Click here to see the sauces and dressings section]
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon pepper, fresh coarse ground
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard [or to taste]
Choose ONE of the following for the egg filling for 6 eggs:
- 2 tablespoons lobster
- 2 tablespoons crab
- 2 tablespoons shrimp meat
- 2 rashers bacon cooked and crumbled
Choose ONE of the following to garnish:
- Freshly ground black pepper
Slice the hard boiled eggs lengthways.
Remove and reserve the cooked yolks, being careful not to damage the whites.
Place the yolks in a shallow bowl, and mash with a fork.
Add all the ingredients, except the egg whites and garnish, to the egg yolk mixture, and mash together with a fork. A blender may be used to give a smoother consistency.
Arrange the egg white halves on a plate. To stop them sliding around, place them on a bed of salad greens.
Pipe the egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves with a pastry bag and fancy tip, or just a bag made from some kitchen parchment, or spoon it into a plastic sandwich bag and snip off one of the corners.
Garnish and serve.